Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Brighter Shade of a Rainy Day

Because South Dakota spring has kicked off with cold temps, rain, snow, hail, thunderstorms-(all in one day!), we are cooped up in our house wrapped in chunky sweaters and fuzzy socks. I needed to do a project to keep my mind occupied while the little one took a nap. I browsed the house and thought of a gazillion projects I wanted to do, but decided to tackle our living room lamp-not literally, of course but you know what I mean...

I have a chestnut brown square floor lamp with a beige paper shade that I bought at Target two years ago. They still have them. I've wanted to add a pattern to the shade and found an ivory fabric with green vine pattern in my collection of fabrics.

Before




First, I  removed the paper shade, then opened it up flat. (It folds into a square and closes with velcro). 
Next, I used Mod Podge to apply the fabric to all sides and closed the shade with the velcro. Next, I trimmed the excess fabric to fit the shade and used the Mod Podge to secure the fabric inside the top and bottom parts of the lamp shade. I had to go back and trim the inside fabric a bit more so that it did not fall outside the top and bottom trims of the shade.  


After












The Review: I'm very happy with how this turned out. I'm sure I'll try this again with another lamp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment