Wednesday, April 27, 2011

DIY Jewelry Organizer

Looking for something to neatly hang all of your bracelets and necklaces? Here's what I came up with.



















if you want to try it, here's what you'll need-
foam board
Mod Podge (I used matte)
small brush
old picture frame with glass removed (I painted my old wooden frame with red acrylic paint)
scrapbook paper
screw-in hooks
drawer pulls with screws (or washers to help create a flat surface)
super glue (I used Elmer's Stix-All)

diy instructions-
(1) Carefully remove the glass from your frame,
(2) Trace the frame's cardboard backing onto a piece of foam board (I bought mine at Dollar Tree)
(3) Apply a medium layer of Mod Podge to the back side of your scrapbook paper (measured to fit your frame).
(4) Apply Mod Podge to the foam board and press paper over the board. Spread the paper down, making sure there are no wrinkles. Allow paper to dry for 15-20 minutes.
(5) Brush on a second layer of Mod Podge over the paper to seal it. Allow Mod Podge to dry completely.
(6) Push in several small screw-in hooks into the board, turn to tighten. Make sure they're not poking out of the back-they are a bit sharp. (I just covered them with poster putty.)
(7) Place the foam board back into the frame.
(8) Secure the drawer pulls to the bottom of the frame. (I ended up using super glue but needed to glue a washer to each to make a flat surface first to make a flat surface that would better stick to the frame.) Allow glue to dry.
(9) Hang your jewelry

*note: the fabric in the upper-left covers a magnet. I use that for my magnabilities magnets that go with the copper bracelet you see hanging.

The Review: Not too difficult. I had everything on hand except for the foam board. You could use fabric in place of the paper. You may be able to push earrings through the foam board too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment